Topics/questions for discussion
1.Some people think that school days are the happiest days in people `s lives. Can you say that you have been happy at school? Why?
2. Did you have a dress code in your school? What do you think about it?
3. Was school work, fun or boring for you?
4. What school subject did you like most? Why?
5. What school activities did you take part in? What were the most enjoyable activities?
6. Were you glad to be back at school after summer holidays? Why? Why not?
7. If you want to continue your education, what kind of institution will you attend? Explain your choice.
8. What did (didn`t) you like about your school? Why?
9. What kind of school did you go to?
10. What are you going to do after the 9th form? How do your favourite subjects and interests influence your choice?
11. Choosing a profession is not an easy matter. What do you think can help you to make the right choice?
12. What `s important while choosing a profession?
13. What professional field can you work in? What are you good at? Which of your personal qualities will help you in your future profession?
14. Would you choose your parents` professions?
15. Have you decided what you want to be? What do you know about the advantages of your future profession?
16. Do you think you will need English in your future career?
17. There are different ways of learning about the world: through the mass media, books, traveling, visiting museums, meeting other people, etc. Which ways do you prefer to learn about the world?
18. Why is visiting a museum interesting and useful?
19. What can museums, places of interest tell you about the world (your home town, your country, people `s past, fashion, etc.)?
20. What do Russian TV channels offer to their viewers? Do you think TV programs can help you to learn at school? Which TV programs can help you to learn at school? In what way?21. What sort of information do you get from newspapers and magazines? What newspapers and magazines do you read? What information are you interested in?
22. Do you like listening to the radio? Why?
23. What books can help you to learn better at school?
24. Traveling is one of the ways of discovering new countries. What attracts tourists to Russia? What would you show your foreign friends in your home town?
25. Do you think that traveling is one of the best ways of spending holidays?
27. Does your family travel a lot? Where to? What ways of traveling do you and your family prefer? What places have you visited? Which of them did you like best? Why?
28. Have you ever traveled abroad? Which do you think is better: to travel abroad or to travel around your own country? Give your reasons.
29. What are the most popular tourist attractions in Russia? What do you think attracts people to these places? What places do foreigners associate with Russia?
30. What places connected with famous people would you recommend your foreign friends to visit?
31. Do you think your home town is worth visiting by tourists? Why?
32. Every country is special. What comes to your mind, when you think of the
UK/the USA and its people?33. What are the symbols of the UK/the USA?
34. What places of the UK/the USA attract tourists? What places in the UK/the
USA and its capital would you like to visit? Why?
35. What are the most common stereotypes about the UK/the USA and its people that you know?
36. Each country takes pride in its own achievements and success. What makes you feel proud of your country?
37. What do you like about your country (sights, most positive traits of the national character, outstanding people, literature, arts, architecture, science, traditions, sports achievements, Russian traditional food, music, Russian products)?
38. What top ten items would you include on the list of Russia `s best things and achievements? Why?
39. What famous people from Russia would you tell your foreign friends about?
40. Which famous British and American people do you admire? What made/makes them famous?
41. What great Russian writers are admired and remembered by Russians?
42. What Russian musicians do you think are recognized all over the world?
43. Which British/American people do you know? Why are they famous? How do you think they are honored in their countries?
44.What would you tell your foreign friends about traditional Russian holidays and celebrations? What do you think your British/American friends will tell you about their traditional holidays and celebrations?
45. What gifts do you usually give to your friends /relatives at different celebrations?
46. Is celebrating important to you? Why? What is your favorite holiday or celebration? Why? What British/American holidays and celebrations do you like? What traditions are connected with them? Which of them would you like to celebrate in Russia?
47. What are your interests and hobbies (reading and TV preferences, sports, pets, eating habits, etc.)?
48. Who do you admire?
49. Is reading important to you?
50. What kind of books do you like to read? What were your favorite childhood books? Have your childhood reading interests changed? How?
51. What is your favorite book? Who is your favorite writer?
52. What British/American authors do you know? Have you read any of their books? Did you like them? Why?
53. Television is much spoken about nowadays. It has both good and bad points. What are your arguments for and against watching TV?
54. Do you think watching television is one of the best ways of spending free time?
55. What do British/Russian TV channels offer to their viewers? What are the channels your family does/doesn`t watch? What is your favorite channel?
56. What TV program do you like best/least? Why?
57. What do you think of advertising on TV?
58. Do you like to spend your free time outdoors or indoors? Why?
59. What do you think is an ideal way of spending your free time?
60. What city activities do you take part in? Where do you go in your home town during your free time?
61. Young people are fond of different styles of music. What kinds are popular now? What kind of music do you like? Why?
62. What do you think about the music you like/dislike? What do you think about classical/rock/pop music?
63. Which British/American/Russian musicians/singers /groups do you know?
64. What does music make you think of?
65. What are traditional British kinds of sport? Are they popular in Russia?
66. What kinds of sport is your family interested in?
67. Which sports were invented in Britain? Are they popular now?
68. What competitions are popular in Britain/Russia?
69. Some people go in for sports, while others like to watch sports competitions. Which is better – to watch or to participate?
70. What does a healthy way of life mean? How do you look after your health?
71. What helps you to be healthy without doctors? How does sport help you to keep fit? When are doctors necessary?
72. What habits are thought to be bad? Why are they bad?
73. What is the influence of pollution on people `s health? Was life better a hundred years ago? Why do you think so?
74. What is the aim of ecological organizations? What ecological organizations do you know?
75. Growing up can cause problems. Do you have any problems with your friends, your parents and other people around you? How do you cope with these problems?
76. How do you get on with your classmates?
77. Learning English is becoming more popular in Russia. Why do people learnEnglish in this country? Do you think you can do without English in your future life?
78. Why is English the world `s top language?
79. Why are you learning English?
80. Do you think you can do without English in your life?