Grammar exercises: Past Simple Tense and Past Continuous Tense.
I. Измените предложения, поставив глаголы в Past Simple Tense:
1. I played in the garden.
2. She drinks tea every day.
3. I live in London.
4. It begins to rain.
5. The teacher gives me a book.
6. My sister plays the piano well.
7. We don’t like cheese.
8. My mother usually does her work carefully.
9. The dog eats its dinner.
10. Omar knows George.
11. They like our house.
12. I catch fish in the river.
13. He is rich.
14. The dog is in the garden.
15. She works as a nurse.
II. Запишите форму прошедшего времени и причастие прошедшего времени этих глаголов и разделите их на две колонки: правильные и неправильные глаголы.
Play, want, stop, do, buy, like, drink, eat, write, read, wash, hope, know, burn, think, fall, come, go, ask, tell, have, watch, teach, learn, see, decorate, paint, plant, make, open, stay, meet, put.
III. Прочитайте рассказ. Все выделенные глаголы поставьте в прошедшее время.
A London Fog
It is a very foggy day in London. The fog is so thick that it is impossible to see more than a foot or so. Buses, cars and taxis are not able to run and are standing by the side of the road. People are trying to find their way about on foot but are losing their way in the fog. Mr. Smith has a very important meeting at the House of Commons and has to get there but no one can take him. He tries to walk there but finds he is quite lost. Suddenly he bumps into a stranger. The stranger asks if he can help him. Mr. Smith says he wants to get to the Houses of Parliament. The stranger tells him he will take him there. Mr. Smith thanks him and they start to walk there. The dog is getting thicker every minute but the stranger has no difficulty in finding the way. He goes along one street, turns down another, crosses a square and at last after about half an hour’s walk they arrive at the Houses of Parliament. Mr. Smith can’t understand how the stranger finds his way. “ It is wonderful,” he says . “ How do you find the way in this fog?”
“ It is no trouble at all to me,” says the stranger. “ I am blind.”
IV. Сделайте предложения отрицательными:
1. She made a mistake in my exercise.
2. I woke very early this morning.
3. He went to school this morning.
4. Henry swam across the river.
5. The girls went to the party.
6. Omar rode to school on his bicycle.
7. My father gave us good ideas for our pictures.
8. Yesterday evening I watched TV.
9. The children sang very well.
10. Mary painted this poster yesterday.
11. I wrote a letter yesterday.
12. They took part in the competitions.
V. Сделайте предложения вопросительными:
1.The lesson began at nine o'clock.
2. My father went to the office by car.
3. Mike caught the ball.
4. The cat drank its milk.
5. She drew a picture of the teacher.
6. Mike bought a bicycle.
7. He opened the door.
8. She broke the vase.
9. Ann walked to school.
10. I knew Kate.
11. We have a holiday last year.
12. My sister bought a new dress yesterday.
VI. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в Past Continuous Tense.
1. I (play) the guitar when he came into the room.
2. Mother (plant) roses when he came.
3. She (write) a letter when I came home.
4. The children (eat) a birthday cake when father came home.
5. Askar (work) all day yesterday.
6. I (sit) by the window when I heard the noise.
7. When you rang me yesterday, I (have) a bath.
8. Granny (bake) a cake yesterday at 3 o’clock.
9. I (cook) pizza when you came at home.
10. At six o’clock he (wait) for Mary at the station.
11. He ( walk) home when the rain began.
12. The baby ( eat) its dinner when I came home.
VII. Past Simple or Past Continuous.
1. When she was young, she (dance) a lot.
2. Mike (drive) home when his car (break down).
3. Nick (read) a book while Kate (watch) TV at 4 o’clock yesterday afternoon.
4. Father was tired. He ( work) on his computer all night.
5. He was upset because he (lose) his money.
6. I (wait) for an hour before the bus (come).
7. Mary and Ann (talk) when I (come) into the room.
8. When I (came) home Granny (knit).
9. When the teacher (came) into the class, John (write) on the board.
10. While my son (wait) for my call, somebody (knock) at the door.