МБОУ СОШ №2 с.Арзгир
Test (Form 7, I semester)
Read the text. Circle the right answer.
After inventing dynamite Swedish-born Alfred Nobel became a very rich man. However, he realized its destructive powers too late. Nobel preferred not to be remembered as the inventor of dynamite, so in 1895, just two weeks before his death, he created a fund to be used for awarding prizes to people who made worthwhile contributions to mankind. Originally there were five awards: literature, physics, chemistry, medicine and peace. Economics was added in 1968, just sixty-seven years after the first awards ceremony.
Nobel's original legacy of nine million dollars was invested, and the interest of this sum is used for tile awards which vary from $30,000 to $125,000.
Every year on December 10, the anniversary of Nobel's death, the awards (gold medal, illuminated diploma and money) are presented to the winners.
No awards were presented from 1940 to 1942 at the beginning of World War II. Some people have won two prizes, but this is rare; others have shared their prizes.
1. When was the fund for awarding Nobel prizes founded?
1) in 18952) in 1940 3) in 1942 4) in 1968
2. Why was the Nobel prize established?
1) to recognize worthwhile contributions to humanity
2) to resolve political differences
3) to honor the inventor of dynamite
4) to spend money
3. In which area have people received awards since 1968?
1) literature2) peace3) economics 4) science
4. In how many fields are prizes given?
1) four 2) five 3) six 4) tell
Read the people’s opinions about zoos.
Toya: Zoos do a lot for animals. They educate people about animals and they finance a lot of research.
Anne: I like visiting zoos if the animals have lots of space. Some zoos are great!
Danny: Zoos are cruel. Animals need to be free, not closed in cages.
Are they for or against zoos? Put a tick (V) or a cross (X) near each speaker’s name.
Circle the right form of the adjective in each sentence.
Model: 0. This is the slowest/ the most slow/ the slower bus in the world!
1. The most quick/ The quickest/ The quicker way for me to get to school is by bike.
2. The enjoyablest/ The most enjoyable/ The more enjoyable lesson of the week is English.
3. This hotel is the cheapest/ the most cheap/ the cheaper in our town.
Complete the sentences with the absolute forms of the pronouns.
0. Whose bicycle is this? It’s Sally’s. It’s hers.
1. Whose pen is this? It’s Trevor’s. It’s _______ .2. Whose house is this? It’s Jack and Jill’s. It’s _______ .3. Is this pen mine or Trevor’s? It’s not Trevor’s. It’s _______ .4. Is this Lord or Lady Forrester’s house? Yes, it is. It’s _______ .
Write sentences with the correct forms (Past Simple or Past Continuous) of the verbs.
0. John and Jill have lunch/ Jenny arrive
John and Jill were having lunch when Jenny arrived .1. Peter and Maria do homework/ their father come in
2. Lisa listen to music/ Pauline and Steve leave
Key to Test (Form 7, I semester)
1 2 3 4
1 1 3 2
V V X
1. The quickest way for me to get to school is by bike.
2. The most enjoyable lesson of the week is English.
3. This hotel is the cheapest in our town.
1. Whose pen is this? It’s Trevor’s. It’s his .2. Whose house is this? It’s Jack and Jill’s. It’s theirs .3. Is this pen mine or Trevor’s? It’s not Trevor’s. It’s mine .4. Is this Lord or Lady Forrester’s house? Yes, it is. It’s theirs .
1. Peter and Maria do homework/ their father come in
Peter ana Maria were doing homework when their father came in .2. Lisa listen to music/ Pauline and Steve leave
Lisa was listening to music when Pauline and Steve left .